The Carter Center, in partnership with Emory University, is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering. It seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
- The Center emphasizes action and measurable results. Based on careful research and analysis, it is prepared to take timely action on important and pressing issues.
- The Center seeks to break new ground and not duplicate the effective efforts of others.
- The Center addresses difficult problems in difficult situations and recognizes the possibility of failure as an acceptable risk.
- The Center is nonpartisan, actively seeks complementary partnerships and works collaboratively with other organizations from the highest levels of government to local communities.
- The Center believes that people can improve their own lives when provided with the necessary skills, knowledge, and access to resources.