Before you begin this application, please read the following notes carefully:
In order to access the Carter Center Intern application, you must establish a user account.
You will be prompted to create a user name and password, and provide a valid e-mail address.
Your user account will give you the option to save and continue your application at a later date,
as well as check the status of your applicant file after your application has been submitted.
Please be aware that once you submit your application, you will be unable to do any additional editing.
To complete the online application, be prepared to provide the following:
The following materials must be submitted by mail:
- A 100-word autobiography.
- A short 200-250-word essay stating your objectives and expectations of a Carter Center internship and how they relate to your goals.
- Your resume, to be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document or PDF.
- A short pertinent writing sample, preferably an academic paper five pages or less in length, to be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document or PDF.
This can be a paper that you have previously written for your academic coursework. Alternatively, it can be a five-page excerpt of a larger pager. Double-spaced is preferred.
- The names, titles, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of two people who will write letters of recommendation on your behalf.
Your recommenders will be sent a system-generated e-mail after you have submitted your application that will allow them to copy and paste the recommendation letter into a Web form and submit it electronically.
Transcripts must be postmarked by the application deadline and sent to the address below:
- Official transcripts in sealed envelopes.
Graduate assistantships are available for the summer session only.
The Carter Center Graduate Assistant Program offers a limited number of opportunities to students currently enrolled in a master’s – or post-master's – level program.
At the start of the assistantship, qualified applicants must have completed a minimum of two semesters of their academic coursework. Please note that
you may apply for the Graduate Assistantship Program in two ways:
The Carter Center
453 Freedom Parkway
Atlanta, Ga. 30307
Candidates who have completed their degree are not eligible for the assistantship. The graduate assistant stipend is $3,500 for a 10-week, 40-hour-per-week commitment.
1) Apply and be considered for a graduate assistantship only.
2) Apply and be considered for a graduate assistantship and internship; should you not be selected as a graduate assistant, you are still under
consideration for an internship in the programs of your choice.