Before you begin this application, please read the following notes carefully:
In order to access the Carter Center Intern application, you must establish a user account.
You will be prompted to create a user name and password, and provide a valid e-mail address.
Your user account will give you the option to save and continue your application at a later date,
as well as check the status of your applicant file after your application has been submitted.
Please be aware that once you submit your application, you will be unable to do any additional editing.
To complete the online application, be prepared to provide the following:
- A 100-word autobiography.
- A short 200-250-word essay stating your objectives and expectations of a Carter Center internship and how they relate to your goals.
- Your resume, to be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document or PDF.
- A short pertinent writing sample, preferably an academic paper five pages or less in length, to be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document or PDF.
This can be a paper that you have previously written for your academic coursework. Alternatively, it can be a five-page excerpt of a larger pager. Double-spaced is preferred.
- The names, titles, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of two people who will write letters of recommendation on your behalf.
Your recommenders will be sent a system-generated e-mail after you have submitted your application that will allow them to copy and paste the recommendation letter into a Web form and submit it electronically.
The following materials must be submitted by mail:
- Official transcripts in sealed envelopes.
Transcripts must be postmarked by the application deadline and sent to the address below:
The Carter Center
453 Freedom Parkway
Atlanta, Ga. 30307
The Carter Center Graduate Assistantship Program offers a limited number of funded opportunities for currently enrolled master's degree and doctoral students. Graduate assistants must make a 9-12 month, 20-hours-per-week commitment and will receive compensation of $14/hour.
In order to be eligible for an assistantship, applicants must be enrolled in a graduate or doctoral program throughout the duration of the assistantship. Candidates who will graduate from their master's, post-master's, or doctoral-level program before the program ends are not eligible.
*There are no age restrictions or citizenship requirements for graduate assistants.